Friday, January 8, 2010

Information Overload for Generation Y!

Generation Y consumers are said to be the most technologically advanced and informed of all the generation segments today. This can be a good and bad thing for companies and marketers. Most of my friends and I have smart phones, laptops, iPods, Facebook accounts, cameras, and much more. We have almost TOO much technology at our hands, so we do not always know how to process all of the information. In addition to having all of these products, we are then bombarded by new products/ad/services, etc to add onto our already overloaded set of technologies.

Ads come to my phone (through Twitter text messages, ads on my iPhone apps, and other random advertising messages). They also are all over the internet, no matter what site I am visiting. We are constantly being targeted by Apple, if we already have one of their products, to get more accessories, or the most updated version of their products. Then, when we go to socialize with our friends online on Facebook, we get notifications from them about their new applications and there are also side ads on every page.

So, how do we filter all of this information? We ignore it! I personally just tune out all ads I see when i am overloaded with information, or not in the mood to investigate a new products or service. However, I find Twitter is a great way to reach Generation Y consumers in an intrusive yet acceptable way.

Twitter allows consumers to come to them, which is a great example of pull marketing. If a consumer wants to follow a specific company or person, they can. This means they agree to receive the messages, links, videos etc. that they post, and can decide whether or not they will read or watch what is posted. I personally follow a lot of businesses that I shop at, Dunkin' Donuts in particular. I am interested to see what they are up to, and occasionally click on the links that they post to learn more.

I believe that Twitter is a great solution to the information overload that Generation Y is experiencing. However, there is a set back. The more people or companies that a person follows, the more information and posts they will receive every day. Twitter users do have the ability to create lists and 'unfollow' someone, so they can control the amount of information they are given.

If you can't tell by now, I am a huge believer in what Twitter does. At first I was a skeptic, but after being on it for many months and interacting with several people and businesses, I have concluded that it is the perfect solution for this generation's issue. Now all Twitter has to do is get more of these consumers to create accounts since hardly anyone I know even knows the purpose of Twitter, nor is even considering creating an account.

No comments:

Post a Comment