Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Life After College

From my perspective, it seems that college students either dread graduation and want to stay another year, or they cannot wait to get out on their own as soon as possible. For me, I was the latter. I felt this way because I knew what type of job I wanted, I was confident in my skills, I knew the right people to help me along the way, and I was ready to start my own life.

The only thing holding me back from being completely stoked about graduating early as I did was the economy. Although the odds are against recent college graduates today, I was ready to take on the challenge. I turned a potentially negative situation into a positive one.

Since graduation three weeks ago, I have been keeping myself very busy. My particular interest, and an area in which I would like to secure a career, is social media marketing. In order to learn the in's and out's of this niche industry, I am networking like crazy and learning how to use Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, YouTube, Google, and Blogger. Updating these sites on a daily basis has become my full time job. Now, that may seem pointless if I am not making money from it, but I see it otherwise. I am learning how to use social media and studying how businesses use it for relationship marketing, and I am also meeting some amazing people along the way. I am looking to secure a job around the Boston area, and have found everyone around there to be more than willing to help me out, whether it is giving me some tips, conducting an informal phone interview with me, meeting up, networking me with someone else in the field, or giving me job leads.

Although I do not have a job as of yet, I am completely fine with that because I am learning so much about the field I want to get into. I find this more than worth the time. My next step will be to attend various events in the Boston area including Tweet Ups and other social networking events. Getting my name out there, building good relationships, and generating tons of content are the three major things I have learned thus far and have made those an imperative for me to achieve each and every day. I know that with hard work and dedication, I will secure my dream job very soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment